Pages

Thursday, January 16, 2014

Effective Management of Babies Skin Asthma

Infant's skin is naturally delicate and sensitive. When I first saw my babies, I almost could not touch them, because their skin felt so thin…it really looked so fragile that it I thought it could break no matter how gentle I am.

I know how extremely important it is to keep babies skin integrity because it is their first line of defense against infection and the fact that they’re still babies, their immune system is not yet well developed therefore I need to make sure that I give all the necessary measure to keep them healthy (apart from giving them passive natural immunity and vaccines).

No matter how vigilant I am, Jeru, my first child has developed seborrheic dermatitis when he was around 2 weeks of age. He developed rashes particularly in his face. I used Lactacyd Baby Bath (Blue) for him then because aside from having an antiseptic property, I also like its scent. I rushed our pedia after a few days since the rash in his face does not improve and then she recommended that we changed it to Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser because it is milder than Lactacyd Baby Bath. So we did and the rashes indeed improved after a few days!

When Matt was born, I never thought that he would have the same skin condition as Jeru and actually it’s worse because when he was 4 months old, he was diagnosed with skin asthma. I also tried using Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser and even Lactacyd Baby Bath but it did not improve his skin condition. Another pedia suggested using Emolkleen Gentle Emollient Bar, but it actually made the rashes worse.

I actually became ultra careful when it comes to taking care of Matt because of his very delicate skin. I decided to use purified water for his bath and I even bought a detergent that is milder than regular detergents that I used in washing his clothes. I found Cycles mild laundry detergent from SM supermarket. It’s a bit expensive, but then as a mom, I won’t take chances.

Despite of the effort, well sadly, it did not improve his condition. I am already getting desperate then! It’s hard to see my son suddenly wake up at night, scratch his face and get irritable. I couldn’t just imagine how uncomfortable it is! Aside from that, he also developed skin discoloration. Some parts of his body developed lighter skin color, particularly in his feet and tummy area! I was already alarmed, since I thought it might develop to vitiligo if it could not be managed earlier.

I therefore consulted an allergist in our area and upon seeing my son; she said that his case is actually one of the worst she had ever seen. Oh no!! But on the positive side, it can be managed, though may not be that easy.

She started prescribing Cetirizine (Allerkid) to control his allergy and she also prescribed Desonide (DesOwen Cream), a corticosteroid which I apply very thinly to Matt’s skin in order to control the itchiness, redness and irritation and it’s actually very effective. Just make sure you apply it very thinly since one of the side effects of corticosteroid creams is that it makes the skin thin and that’s a particularly important fact for children.

As part of his skin care, she advised us to use CetaphilRestoraDerm Skin Restoring Body Wash (around php 800 +) and Cetaphil RestoraDerm Skin Restoring Moisturizer (around php 1450) from a local store (but it’s also available in some drugstores). We used Cetaphil RestoraDerm Skin Restoring Body Wash twice a day, in the morning and at night while the lotion should be used as often as possible since it keeps the skin moisturized. Both products do not actually smell good, but they’re super effective! We saw improvement in just a week of use. Also, you can use one bottle of Cetaphil RestoraDerm SkinRestoring Body Wash in 3-4 months because it’s very foamy even if you just use a very small quantity. The Cetaphil RestoraDerm Skin Restoring Moisturizer also works very well even if you just apply it thinly.


Matt’s skin is improving now. He does not have rashes on his face anymore, though it occasionally appears especially if he’s exposed to dust and  if he smears his face with his saliva ( as with skin asthma, anything can be an irritant, even their saliva). As to his skin discoloration, it’s also improving, though the color of his skin in his tummy is still uneven, it’s becoming less discernible, and I will continue to be very watchful of him until he outgrew his skin asthma (hopefully)!

Bottom line? A mom should never give up, especially if it’s already the health of our child that is at stake…. ;)







No comments:

Post a Comment